What’s the best way to get a child support modification?

If there comes a point when you are unable to make your child support payments, you have to review your situation to get a better idea of what to do next.

Maybe you're facing a short-term financial problem that will resolve on its own soon enough. In this case, you may be able to fight through this rough patch without missing any payments.

However, if you're strapped for cash and have no way of staying current with your child support payments, you need to take action. In this case, action means requesting a modification of the child support order.

There is a lot that goes into requesting a child support modification, as family law courts aren't in the habit of handing these out for no reason. If you need to move forward, you need to carefully follow the appropriate legal channels.

Do it now, not later, as you still need to make your payment as expected until a modification is granted. Try talking to the other parent to see if they will agree to a child support modification.

Do your best to stay current, even if it means sending partial payments for the time being. Keep track of anything that proves your financial situation has changed, such as lower pay stubs.

Finally, you need to contact the appropriate court to learn more about filing a request for a child support modification.

If nothing else, these steps will put you on the right track. As you move forward, take notes in regard to what you're doing and what's going on with your finances. This will ensure that you have everything you need to hopefully obtain a child support modification in the near future.

Source: FindLaw, "Child Support Modification Tips," accessed Feb. 23, 2018

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Get Guidance From Our Family Law Attorneys

For more information, please call 410-280-2696 or fill out the below form to send us a confidential email:

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

Green & Weinstein, PC Office Map

Green & Weinstein, PC
1 Park Place, Suite 500
Annapolis, MD 21401

Phone: 410-280-2696
Fax: 410-280-6670
Map & Directions